Local SEO We all know that SEO is one of the most important factors when it comes to digital marketing.
But What is Local SEO?
Local SEO promotes your business’s visibility on location-based searches. In essence, it is aimed at making sure your business gets found by people searching for it within a locality.
These localities could be; city, county, postcode and also people search ‘near me’
Why Is Local SEO So Important?
As you can imagine, Local SEO is incredibly important especially if you have a business which customers can visit – for example a bricks and mortar shop, or a company that provides a service within a specific area.
Let’s take a look at some statistics!
86% of consumers rely on the internet to find local business
29% search for local businesses at least once a week
30% of Google mobile searches are related to location
72% of consumers who search for local businesses, end up visiting within 5 miles
78% of local mobile searches result in an in-store purchase
More than 50% of ‘near me’ searches result in a store visit
Finally – 76% of people who search on their mobile phone for something nearby visit a business within a day and 28% of those searches result in a purchase.
What are the benefits of Local SEO for my business?
- Local SEO help potential customer discover your business. With local SEO done correctly, your business can capture these new potential customers
- Local SEO provides local information to potential customers when they want it.
- Your business may not have a website, you can still attract new business and drive physical traffic to your door.
- Local SEO will help to build online visibility
- Greater visibility will improve foot traffic
- Local SEO will help build more targeted traffic to your website for relevant search terms
- Optimising your Local SEO will enhance your visibility of Google Maps.
How can I do this myself?
Improving your Local SEO can be done in a number of ways.
- Setup Google My Business – https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/business/
- Building citations – Business name, address and phone number (NAP) mentioned on quality websites and online directories.
- Content marketing – Providing quality local content which is relevant to locality and service/product.
- Link building – Building in-bound links from other quality, industry specific sites.
- Reputation management – Reviews for your business, the more positive reviews, the better.
How Long Will It Take?
Typically, with standard SEO you will expect to see results within 4-6 weeks. Bear in mind this is when you will start seeing results – SEO will grow over time.
The results you are getting at the 6-month point will be considerably less than the results you could expect in 12 months’ time.
It’s worth bearing in mind that changes to directories, Google Local and Places pages can take time to change.
New citations will take time to update, link building efforts will not necessarily appear or impact immediately.
Take Your Time
Work methodically, make sure that your citation building is consistent and that your business name, address and phone number remains identical across all platforms. Keep a log, record what you’ve listed and tick it off once the listings are live.
Ensure that you only use quality directories, if they look somewhat suspect, then don’t list with them – remember poor citations and links WILL have a negative impact on your SEO.
If you haven’t got the time, you’re confused or you simply need a hand – I’m sure you’ll find a local SEO specialist that will be able to offer a hand for a small reasonable fee.